Pages

Contributors

Thursday, July 23, 2020

On The Farm

 Squelch went the mud, as my soggy gumboot sank into the brown muck. Only twenty one cows had made it up the slippery bank, and we had to get all thirty out of the flooded paddock. The heavy rain pounded my soaking wet overalls like a machine gun, as if it was trying to make me slip. As I slowly shimmied down the grassy slope, I could hear the distant moos of the last nine cows echoing through the gully. Suddenly, I misplaced my foot on a patch of long wet grass, sending me skidding down the rest of the hill. After staggering to my feet, I discovered a bush - not just any bush, a moving bush! Looking closer I realised that the strange plant was the hiding place of a mother deer and its fawn. The startled creatures took one quick glance at my muddy face, then went galloping up the slope like mountain goats. I sat staring in wonder at the majestic creature before, getting back to my task. The pouring rain made everything slippery and hard to see. I had to rely on the missing cows distant moos to find my way. Finally, I heard a loud crash coming from the thick scrub. I crept up to the edge of the tea tree and peeped through the spiky gorse bush and … there they were! The last nine cows - camping up under the shelter of the trees. I snuck round the back of the shivering herd, making noises to get them standing up. Once the group were all standing, I started to drive the large mammals up the muddy slippery bank. Loose rocks and debris from the struggling cows hooves tumbled down beside be. Further and further we walked, until finally the iron gate swinging in the rain was in sight. We gathered all our energy and made the final charge to the exit! As the final cow made its way through, and into the new paddock, I swung it shut with relief. Finally it was over! Off I went home for some hot milo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I am looking forward to reading your quality comment!
Try and follow these steps when commenting please:

1. Introduce yourself
2. Tell me a joke, something funny to engage me.
3. Make your comment meaningful, useful, inspirational.
4. Be kind
5. Leave your blog address so I can give you some feedback or make some new connections too!